Wednesday 20 April 2016

OUGD501 PATTERN DESIGN & ISSUES

Initial sketches:
I started out by sketching all the things that I would relate to going on a beach holiday in The Algarve or Portugal. Turns out I'm rubbish at drawing palm trees, they're trickier than they look. I could of pursued this more, however there were other illustrations I could of sued which were just as effective.



Digital uploads:
All of the below images are of the sketched illustrations uploaded to Photoshop and then changing the levels so there's a higher contrast between black and white. I also removed the excess of the photographs and any unwanted detail such as background views or bits of unrelated illustrations as I drew them all quite close together.








Combined pattern:
I used the images above and uploaded them to Illustrator, then image traced them to give them a much more refined and clean appearance, which will help when it comes to screen printing to produce a clean cut pattern, not one with fuzzy edges.

Initial pattern layout. I chose the lined waves instead of the one chunky wave as I thought there was a lot of stuff that looked similar to that, and the lined waves provided something different to the pattern, a nice contrast.

Much more randomised layout for the pattern, where I stuck to no order to try and get a more relaxed and less structured outcome. However you can tell that this has no order to it as now there are random uneven gaps and it looks messy.

Final pattern. I had to make the illustrations smaller as on a screen it looked fine, however when printed out the illustrations were way too large. On the previous patterns I noticed that the sun and parasol were slightly lighter, with thinner outlines than the other illustrations, so I added a 0.5pt outline to them so the appearance is consistent.
Issues:
The pattern worked really effectively, and the positive was printed out ready to expose, however when I went into the printing facilities at Vernon street (where I much prefer to screen print), all their screens were out and Mick said I could try again tomorrow (which is too late for me), and that my chances of exposing my screen today were pretty slim.
I took this as a sign that screen printing wouldn't be an effective idea, and would also probably take up more time than it was worth. It would of been great to print a pattern on the back, but who even knows if it would work or look effective, and the digital prints could also get ruined by screen printing on the backs for a whole manner or reasons of things that could go wrong. In the future I should of eft myself more time to allow for these things, so it wouldn't of mattered if I couldn't expose the screen today, just to allow for experimentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment