Sunday 24 April 2016

OUGD501 PRACTICAL EVALUATION

What went well
I was pleased with the overall aesthetic of the travel brochure, as it is completely different to the original travel brochure, and has taken on a much more sophisticated, appealing aesthetic. I was also pleased with the time management of the production of the publication, as I didn't really have to rush to get it finished at the end, and booked a print slot 2 weeks before easter to ensure I could print it when I need and want to.

What didn't go so well
The binding method. It looks alright when the brochure is closed, however it really isn't sturdy whatsoever, with the pages falling out and peeling off when you open it. I probably should of done a mock up test bind beforehand, however I've done perfect bind before in the workshops, and I didn't remember the pages coming out. The printing also didn't go very well, having to reprint it, which cost extra and took up time that could of been spend elsewhere.

What I would of done differently
I would of definitely done a test bind using the stock I will use to print to see whether the bind actually worked or not. I would also of done more research into different travel zines perhaps to see the different layouts of these on a smaller scale. I would of liked to of included more things in the redesign that weren't just hotels, such as the Instagram feed, but perhaps put more of an emphasis on it, and include other elements as well. I would of liked to of screen printed a pattern on the inside fold sides, to create more interest in the brochure, although I don't know whether this would of fit in with the style of the content pages. Experimentation would of been nice to do though, although time and available facilities wouldn't allow this. I would of tested the redesign with the public, to see if it has achieved the aims, to make it more appealing and to reflect the principles of editorial design. This would of been really useful to see whether what I have produced is effective. I should also of been referring back to my essay when designing the travel brochure, and taking things directly from there rather that just using Boat magazine as inspiration.

What I learnt
I have learnt that it is possible to make something that's initially very crowded and unappealing, look much cleaner and attractive. I have also learnt the importance of mock ups and testing techniques to ensure they work for the final outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment