Thursday 21 April 2016

OUGD501 PRINTING THE BROCHURE

Issues:
When booking the printing slot before easter there wasn't really anything in the morning except for a rebriefing, which I estimated would be finished by 11 or I'd at least of gotten all the key information anyway, however when I looked at the timetable the day before there was a new addition of a COP3 Introduction lecture which I didn't feel I could miss in order to print. So instead, I went down just before 11 (checked with James first if it was ok) and opened the brochure on a computer with a little note explaining what I wanted printed and on what stock, crop marks etc. However, my little note wasn't very clear in one aspect, as it was initially printed one page on one sheet of A4, as shown in the right brochure in the photograph below. This wasn't what I meant by single sided printed, so I had to reprint it during drop in when I only expected to have to pick it up. Also, it couldn't be printed on glossy stock, as the only gloss stock that was available was photograph paper which was quite thick and cracked when folded, which wouldn't of worked well withe the full bleed photographs. Instead it had to be printed on the stock shown below, which has a kind of velvet feel to it, and had a tiny bit of shine but really not a lot. This is unfortunate, and the stock that's available in the digital print room should of been checked beforehand so that it's known what is exactly available to print on.



Final prints:

Algarve title page printed. The photograph has printed out so much clearer than what it would of done initially, and "Algarve" stands out really boldly. However "The" isn't as clear as it could of been against the sky, but you can still read it. You can also see the slight shimmer in the stock as well, giving it more of a luxurious feel.

Madeira title page. The text doesn't stand out as boldly as was hoped, with the dark green taking some of it's emphasis away. However this page still has great impact with the striking photograph.

Example hotel spread. Photographs have came out very strong, text is the right size, all is well and am pleased with it.

You can see even the photographs which are screen shots from instagram have printed out fairly high quality, although here there is some room for varying qualities.
The next stage will be to bind the final brochure using perfect bind. I am also planning on binding the brochure that printed out wrong, as I may as well to experiment with another bind whilst I have the opportunity. Although I'm not sure how I'm going to bind it due to it being printed with one page per A4 sheet non double sided. Bind will have to be explored.

No comments:

Post a Comment